Brown/black bumps on olive tree

I just ordered a new olive tree that is about 5 1/2 feet tall. It appears to be healthy but there are dark brown/black bumps on some sections of the tree and leaves. They are about the size of a pencil eraser, maybe a bit smaller. Can anyone tell me what they are and how to treat them? Thank you!! 

• mattsmatts Posts: 37

They look like scale insect to me but wait until someone more experienced than me comes along with a diagnosis.

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 493

I would say they are scale insects also. You would have thought the vendor might have seen these before selling it to you! I have got rid of scale insects buy dipping a cotton bud in methylated spirit and rubbing it on the insect - they have a quite a hard coating. 

• They look like scale insects to me to, if you have just acquired the tree I would get in touch with the vendor and let them know you are not happy with it being sent to you with scale,

I use cotton buds dipped in meths because the scale as a hard coating there isn’t any point using a spray inscode.

If you are keeping the tree treat it ASAP as the scale insects are sap suckers so will weaken the tree.