Forum home Plants

Ericaceous plant food

turmericturmeric Posts: 678

Hello,

If the leaves on a rhododendron are all going yellow what would you recommend as a feed at this time of year?  The plant is in the ground so I don't want to use a liquid as it'll probably get washed away.  It's covered in flower buds but it's a few years old so probably just needs a boost.  

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,782

If your soil isn't naturally acidic then sulphur chips can help:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=82

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • turmericturmeric Posts: 678

Thanks Bob, it's actually for a very elderly neighbour in my road.  Most of us have camellias doing very well and she has two other rhododendron that seem fine and some small azaleas that are quite happy so I'm thinking the soil is on the acidic side.  It's just this one large rhododendron that gone really yellow this year (not just a few leaves).  Can I get her some sulphur chips in an ordinary garden centre?  She over 90 so it's easier if I pick them up for her.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156

Is there anything else you can see that might be an issue with it?  Is it old, and crowded - needing a bit of a prune? Competition for nutrients and moisture  from other planting?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• turmericturmeric Posts: 678

Hello Fairygirl, no, it has plenty of space and it's covered in flower buds but the lady doesn't feed anything at all and this plant must be 30 years old.  It's not big (maybe 1m wide and high) but I think it's just exhausted and in need of nutrition.  I was thinking of a granular ericaceous feed, maybe I'll pop to the GC for her and see about sulphur chips or see what granular ericaceous food they have.