Shaping Acer Griseum

Hi All,

I've got a 3 year old Acer Griseum that I want to prune to the shape shown in the links below.

I'm not really too sure on the technique to use to achieve this so wondered if anyone could advise me?

Thanks,

Colin Jack

http://www.deepdale-trees.co.uk/trees/2015/images/10/Acer griseum8.jpg
http://www.deepdale-trees.co.uk/trees/2015/images/10/Acer griseum2.jpg

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,341

Think we probably need to see a photo of your tree as it is in order to be able to say anything constructive. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I have an acer griseum that's now about 6-7 feet tall. My plan is to do as little shaping as possible, just to remove awkard, diseased/damaged/dead, (very) low and crossing branches. At the moment there is only a single low side branch, one foot off the ground, that I will remove later this autumn. The RHS places Acer Griseum in pruning group 1; "These evergreen shrubs and deciduous trees and certain deciduous shrubs need very little pruning and are best left to their own ...". (link does not work right now or I would post it).

The following is anecdotal, but I've noticed a very lanky specimen in the Cambridge botanical garden, that has had a lot of lower branches removed. It is now also dying. The pruning may not be the cause of dying (perhaps it's the other way round), but the shape of the tree looks wrong. I'm inclinded to think that a small amount of corrective pruning is fine, but shaping the tree to a pre-conceived look could backfire.

• @micearguers
    Sorry for slow reply, thanks for feedback and having thought about I think I will do just as you suggested and let it grow its own way.
  • micearguersmicearguers Posts: 234
    @colinjack - well that's a blast from the past! Hope your acer will grow to be a beautiful tree! I've cut off the one lower branch on mine, and planning to leave it alone now. Except that I've planted it way too close to a schizophragma integrifolium. A nursery man warned me the schizo (root system) may crowd out the acer. Ach, it's interesting to live and learn, and for now I'll just see wait and see (and accept the outcome).