Forum home Plants

ivy ID (hedera helix)

leemleem Posts: 9

Picked this little unknown ivy up from a garden center, just wanted to put a name to it if i can, i know how difficult they are to id, thanks in advance.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,808

Strongly resembles Hedera helix 'Calico' , striking variegation !

• leemleem Posts: 9

thanks paul, looks like your right, its a really nice ivy, shame it isnt a climber, its what i needed it for.

leem

It IS a very vigorous climber providing you supply it with plenty of moisture during the growing season image !

they have it as "will not climb" and a growth rate as very very slow, will just have to see how it go's, i put one in the ground against the fence and a few in pots.

Aside from the 'upright' Hedera 'Conglomerata' and its cultivars , all the Ivies I've used over the years have responded and 'climbed' accordingly .

Maybe H. 'Calico' is one of those unfortunate congested forms propagated more for its foliage rather than its ability to climb . A shame really , as it would make a stunning addition to any garden .

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

the one on the OP looks like a climber. There are hundreds of cultivars, many o which are barely distinguishable

Oh good. Fingers crossed it will climb. Thanks for the help. Just need a few other climbing varieties now.