Forum home Fruit & veg

Polytunnel or Plastic Greenhouse

I have a small veg garden with four raised beds and I have a vacant space 18 x 12 feet, in the lee of the willow hedge, but south facing and I feel ideal for a polytunnel or greenhouse. I would like to grow plants from seed and grow tender veg, such as tomatoes and sweet corn out of the wind and rain, something we get a lot of here in the Welsh mountains! My pension unfortunately does not run to anything exotic, so I have looked at the polycarbonate greenhouses and green tarp covered tunnels on Ebay and would like to ask, if anyone has any experience of these and which might be best for what I am hoping to achieve? Many thanks.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

I had one of those green coloured polytunnels (the type with a sort of green string embedded in the cover) for a couple of years but I found the light levels were pretty low so things didn't grow as well as I'd hoped.  Given the choice between the two, I think I'd go for the polycarbonate greenhouse.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,551

My polytunnel is clear plastic but has a green net mesh thrown over it to reduce light levels in summer.  I have it in a spot sheltered from strong winds and chose a polytunnel for all the extra spoace I could afford plus ease of erection.   In addition, in our Belgian garden we always had to replace glass panes in our greenhouse, every year.

I think, if you check prices, that, per square metre, polytunnels work out cheaper and also simpler to construct than greenhouses whether glass or polycarbonate.   The only thing is that you may need to replace the polythene sheet every few years to maintain light levels but I believe polycarbonate also degrades over time and lets less light in.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you for your helpful advice.