Creosoted fence posts

I have a burn/water way that for many years has been part of a thriving frog community . now my neighbour has established a new deer fence with creosoted posts imported from Sweden, some of which are following this burn. sadly today I saw oil in the water, the posts have only been in the ground for a few weeks.does this mean anything in its path will be killed, or do animals and bugs have a chance of escape before being contaminated?

• Creosote is described as very toxic to aquatic organisms and likely to cause long term damage to aquatic environments.

If I were you I would contact the Environment Agency.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,754
    Tootsietim says:

Creosote is described as very toxic to aquatic organisms and likely to cause long term damage to aquatic environments.

If I were you I would contact the Environment Agency.

See original post

I totally agree.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 435

Creosote will coat frogs’ permeable skin from which they breath. They will then suffocate. Most female frogs will be overwintering away from the water and males may have buried themselves in the silt at the bottom of the pond, so it’s not too late to do something. Yes, contacting the EA is the best way forward. Bloody neighbours!