Buying peonies

I would like to buy peonies to plant. Has anyone a seller, online or otherwise, they would recommend. Price is a factor so any on line deals welcome...

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,224

I haven't bought from them for a very long time, but I know that Claire Austin has an extensive range. Not sure about the pricing though.

• lilysillylilysilly Posts: 408

Hi Kathryn, what particular peonies are you after?

I've had bare root peonies from Kelways online, and from Sarah Raven. Kelways have a vast range of every colour and flower form. Sarah Raven only has a few varieties. I was bought as a gift two bare root peonies from each of these companies. They arrived well packaged and were chunky roots with 3 or 4 good sized eyes on each bare root.

They grew healthily after potting up and l even had a couple of blooms in early summer.

I have also bought a few nice peonies from garden centres over the last few years. You can see what you're getting then. The most l paid was £12 for a 3litre potted peony which had 3 massive fragrant blooms that summer.

I remember Kelways had a short period of time this summer when many of their peonies were half price online, if you can wait until then.

Also Homebase and B&Q stock peonies each spring. Mostly popular varieties like Bowl of Beauty and the like.

Claire Austin is also well known for her large range of peonies, but l haven't bought from her yet, though l have one of hers on my wish list...Bartzella, just need to find space somewhere.