Perennials planting out

hi, what’s the latest I could plant out perennials? It says it’s going to be down to 1degree Sunday during night so will this affect them If planting out tomorrow? 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,739

FlowerNewbie

Subject to where the plants have been grown/raised ; ie , under polytunnel , glasshouse or outdoors . If raised undercover they may not be quite acclimatised to the 'great-outdoors' yet .

Perennials are normally fine , and pretty adaptable . It's up to you really , either provide a modicum of winter protection and wait until the spring , or take a chance and plant out now . If pot grown , don't rely on winter rainfall to be adequate for your plants , keep a check on them and keep damp throughout the next few months .

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,642

One night of that temp won't affect hardy perennials, so as long as they haven't been cossetted, as Paul says. I've just planted out a load of small perennials today, grown on from division or seed this year, and I wouldn't expect them to suffer, but they've been outside with no shelter other than from other plants nearby. 

We had  low temps on Thursday night after the rain ( below zero) resulting in a heavy air frost and car scraping, and plants in very small pots were all fine as expected. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,929

I agree with previous comments. So long as they've not been cosseted,  and the ground is neither waterlogged, nor frozen, they'll be fine.

Devon.
  • That’s good, thanks for advice. Yeah they are all in small plastic pots but outside on decking, near to where they’ll be  positioned, so no shelter as such. Shouldnt be waterlogged as I’ve dug up the ground to add manure and raised it slightly.