Cold Frames

I’m after info/instructions on making the cold frame made only from Perspex sheet from episode 30 of this series. Can anyone help? I found the clip for the wooden frame but there doesn’t seem to be one for the only Perspex one. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,158

I wouldn’t even waste money on buying Perspex or waste time making one, a gust of wind and it will take off.

that Perspex is so light, really not worth the effort. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 528

Gardeners world programme 30 had a part on building cold frames could be helpful 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,677

It was held together with cable ties. I'm with Lyn on this - first breezy day and it would disappear over the horizon here. You'd need to rope it to a fence or wall. Maybe ok in a sheltered urban garden somewhere though. Better to buy some timber or a few concrete blocks, and see if you can source an old window or similar to make one. 

Someone on the forum recently had bought two polycarbonate ones and that's what I suggested they did - tie it to their house wall. It'll be interesting to see if it survives till Christmas!

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• Agree with you Lyn - I was quite shocked when that was shown on GW.  Perspex is so light and brittle, even if it doesn't blow away it won't survive being stored.

Much better to use the perspex as a lid for a wooden box which has better insulation and more sturdy.  If it's hinged it can be stored to save space but I use mine all year round as a holding pen for young plants to give them a bit of protection.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,611

The ones on GW on TV last night were not made of perspex but of of twinwall polycarbonate which is 700 times stronger than glass and will effectively last a lifetime.  One big advantage of polycarbonate sheet is that it can easily be cut with a saw without cracking.  I agree with the others that using polycarbonate as sidewalls as well as the top would make them too light in weight and prone to being blown away though.  However, if you plan to place them on bare ground rather than paving etc then that would easily be remedied by driving a wooden stake in at each corner and screwing through the polycarb into the wood.  If you would like to let me know what size you want, I'll draw some plans and upload as an image for you.  image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,677

Yes you're right Bob. If it's on open ground, it makes it easier as you can fix them into it with timber posts. Think I'd still want to anchor it to something solid though. I doubt it would remain intact for a whole winter unless it's in a sheltered enough garden. image

Polycarbonate is very useful as you can easily cut it to size yourself. Ideal for a diy-er instead of glass in that respect. Perspex is awful to work with unless you're very careful.

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• Thanks for your thoughts folks. It was the polycarbonate one that popped my interest. I have VERY limited space in a small relatively sheltered urban garden. The design the put together with the cable ties seemed a perfect answer to my space and storage issues. 

• vjwukvjwuk East SussexPosts: 30

You could register on your local Freecycle group and see if anyone has one they no longer need, I often see various types and conditions (even wooden frame ones) on our local one.  Even if the top is gone you could fabricate one with the Perspex and cable ties.