Forum home The potting shed

RedFuchsia's Allotment

Hello allimage

My name is Natalia and I am from Poland. Some time ago I decided to look for an English-speaking garden forum to share my story and break the concerns about writing in that language, I apologize for any mistakes.

In May 2016 I became the owner of a 600m2 recreational plot, without a shed, but with a lot of trees, couch grass and strawberries. That's how it looked at the first visitimageimageimageimage

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Hello Natalia and welcome. Your english is very good, much better than my Polish ? You have a large area of land, what do you plan to grow in it? 

I have a vegetable and fruit plot in my garden, it is very rewarding ?

• Hello Loanaimage

I plan to grow a little bit of everything - already there are some trees, shrubs and flowers, but smaller plants are few. I already had a vegetable garden, cucumbers, courgettes, lettuce and radishes. In the next season I also plan to grow tomatoes.

During the first visit I made a review of plant species - the trees were easiest to identify. The biggest trees turned out to be walnut and cherry. In addition to them: apples, plums, pear, cherry and hazels. From the smaller plants I noticed a wild rose, a few irises and lots of stonecropimageimageimageimageimage

• Looks idyllic Natalia but you obviously have a bit of clearing to do if you want to make some good growing areas.

You will obviously want to keep the majority of your trees so raised beds may be the best way to start.

There are a couple of Threads on the forum which deal specifically with allotments - bit different here from Poland but may give you an idea or two.

I'd second Loana re your English - don't worry about it - your English is probably better than oursimage

Keep us posted and hopefully a little more information about the aspect/soil etc on your new plot  and what you would like to grow where will bring more advice and suggestions from us.

• Philippa thank you. I have just started to browse this forum, but Polish gardening forums I have read for a long time, although some inspiration will certainly not hurt. In fact, most of the trees remain, but some had to be cut, they were too thickly planted and sick and a month ago one plum fell over.

It is true that the allotment needs clearing - a lot of clearing. Couch grass does not give up easily, but I try to clean the soil as thoroughly as possible from old roots before planting perennials and shrubs.

The soil is quite light, soft, sandy-clay, easy to pass water. After removing the old weeds it is easy to dig, and the weeding does not cause problems. Unfortunately the soil is poor, I do not know if it was ever till well. And it's dry, except for a few places under the trees.

In the first year a shed was built for storing tools- autumn 2016:

imageimageimage

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Your plot looks lovely redfuchsia, how lucky to have the fruit trees already. They probably need a tidy up if they have been neglected and maybe feeding? Then you should get great crops. My plot was full of weeds, nettles and brambles, it took a lot of clearing. I have a big compost heap, very useful for putting goodness back into your soil, but I only put grass and leaves onto the heap. I put weeds into a recycling garden waste bin ?

• Loana the trees were already cropped a bit, but there was always something more urgent to do, so I still did not finish. There is also a problem with placing a ladder until the ground beneath the trees is not leveled, it can not be trimmed properly. I have two compost piles and separate heap of branches and another for weed's roots - I cut and compost leaves, but I do not know what I will do with the roots.

It was in the trees I fell in love when I first saw the plot - flowering apple trees in spring 2016:

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Kate 7Kate 7 Posts: 96

I am relatively new to this allotment game. I got my first one two years ago and now have two. I don't have too much time to spend on day to day maintenance so grow pretty much everything in raised beds all made from scrounged wood and pallets etc. 

I grow mostly flowers and some veg. I hope to grow lots of dahlias next year and also love fuchsias. My first plot was a mess when I got it and I use a lot of mypex to keep the weeds at bay. Old carpet is also useful to control weeds. I try to use as few chemicals as possible. I am a real convert. Couldn't imagine being without them.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,923

That's beautiful redfuchsiaimage

I think I'd be happy with it as an orchard never mind an allotment, looks very peaceful and lush...

• Kate I never tried to use the old carpet, but I covered the weeds with foil, unfortunately some grew under it. The layer of tearing weeds and grass is more effective, after some time it starts to rot and everything underneath it dies.

Victoria thank you. On pictures and from far away looks nice, but is very uneven, you need to be careful not to twist an ankle. For this reason I have a problem with cutting trees, it is not possible to set the ladder properly.

Continuing the history of the allotment - in the first year on a small cleaned piece I grew cucumbers, some flowers and bought several perennials. I also looked for plants that were growing on the allotment, mostly the leaves of irises showed up.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,608

Hi what a big & beautiful looking space here our standard Allotments are only 250M sq so you have a lot of room. I think you need to concentrate on one or two small areas at a time, this will help you get going get some crops, when these are under control then you can gradually expand the cultivated area apart from keeping the grass cut in the other places. The only other way would be to get a local farmer to shallow plough & harrow in between the trees, this would help even up the soil.

AB Still learning