Forum home Plants

New houseplants!

imageimage

Good afternoon! 

I have acquired several new houseplants and am at a loss for what these 2 fellas are ????. Any feedback would be much appreciated, as I would like to care for them appropriately based on their needs. 

Thanks so much! ????

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,808

No.1 resembles a Billbergia , either B.nutans or B.pyramidalis , widely grown bromeliad in the tropics .

Pic no.2 resembles Pseudopanax ferox , a peculiar small spiny tree from New Zealand .
    Perhaps another forum member might have more insight .

• Paul, 

Thank you for your insight! I can definitely see plant no.1 being a bomeliad variety. The Pseudopanax ferox is the closest resemblance out of everything I've come across. 

I appreciate it! 

• Definitely not Bilbergia Nutans.  I have had these for years, grown both as a houseplant and in sheltered spot in the garden.  But Bilbergia Pyrimadalis is a strong possibility.  When it comes into flower, it will be easier to identify.

ShrinkingViolet

Your growing conditions sound almost idyllic image ; will be interesting to see the flowers .

How about the Pseudopanax ID ?? The juvenile form of this differs appreciably from the mature apparently .

What do you think ?

• I am not at all sure about the pseudopanax.  It's not something I have ever grown, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure that I would give it house room.  It is a bit spiky and awkward looking. Others will doubtless be better informed.

I am hoping that my Bilbergia Nutans will do as well outside here in Mid Devon as it did in West Somerset where we used to live.  There we benefited from a very mild micro climate.  It's colder here, so I shall keep a couple of plants indoors and also see if a couple will survive in a sheltered corner. As a houseplant I found they bloomed in January.  Outdoors, they bloomed in the late spring.

The Pseudopanax (from the picture) looks a bit etiolated (lank) , and would (at this stage) benefit from full sunshine in a greenhouse . A totally different manner of growth compared to others in this interesting genus .

• My B. nutans has just had two flowers and has another bud on the way. It is looking very happy after some extra feed this year (I'm not good at remembering to feed thingsimage)

It was a plant I acquired when I was teaching, a sadly neglected waif that I took in and kept in my classroom. It flowered even then, without food, and  though I kept it watered it had to survive the C*****mas hols in an unheated classroom. I brought it home with me when the school was closed and now it lives in the back porch, on a gravel tray next to a radiator, but a little back from the window. I still have its companions from those days too, the Swiss cheese plant and a Haworthia, alll very tough and resilient plantsimage

• Kate 7Kate 7 Posts: 72

I think the second photo is a Dizygotheca?

Kate 7

The plant looks very dark in the picture , but I think you're correct in your ID ; D.elegantissima image !

(Will sleep better tonight now) !!image