Next year's daffodils coming through already

Hi all,

On 1st October I planted a load of daffodil bulbs in my borders...I was told October is a good time to plant them.  I've just been out there picking up leaves and noticed that some (quite a few, actually) have already sprouted above the soil. Im worrying I'll lose them over winter, or is this completely normal? :)

Thank you

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,247

They'll be fine ... no need to worry about them , they know what they're doing  image  ... they'll slow down, even stop, as the weather gets colder and frost and snow won't damage them, and then they'll start growing again in the spring.  Just be careful not to walk on them if they're covered with snow.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Phew!! Thank you Dovefromabove. I didn't know daffs were so tough!! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,247

Tough as old boots image  We used to frequently get late snowfall in March/April ... Ma called it 'the Daffy snow' ........ now it hardly ever happens but I remember it well from my childhood.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,873

how deep did you plant them?

if they're showing now and you've only just planted them this month they shouldn't have had enough time to grow 4 to 5 inches to show?