Forum home The potting shed

Compost

B3B3 Posts: 15,472

I put my peelings and raw vegetable waste on the compost heap - no problem.

I know cooked stuff will attract rodents etc.

What about neat cooked vegetables without any animally additions like butter etc.?

Ps anything apart from potato, cabbage and onion in bubble and squeak is an abomination!

In London. Keen but lazy.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,762

Nothing cooked goes on ours, not even plain veg.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,472

Ok thanks obelixx. Council has started weekly food waste collections. Will chuck it in there

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,108

I put cooked veg, if there is no butter in them, on the compost heap, but I don't have much cooked veg left over anyway.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,764

I never cook more than we can eat, we never ever have any cooked food waste. Mind you, we lead a very frugal life.?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

I put all our food waste in the compost bin, apart from things that don't rot eg eggshells and avocado stones.  Never had rats, if ever I see any, I'll stop putting the cooked food in.  Like Lyn's family, mine doesn't leave much.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,167

put eggshells on a baking tray on the bottom of the oven when you're roasting something and they can be crushed to crumb easily and then add. Great for worms.

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,764

I used to bake egg shells and put out for the chickens.

they are supposed to be a slug deterrent, but I dont think it worked, slugs don’t seem to be deterred by anything here?  the chickens were a slug deterrent, not the egg shells?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    Hostafan1 says:

put eggshells on a baking tray on the bottom of the oven when you're roasting something and they can be crushed to crumb easily and then add. Great for worms.

See original post

Thanks, I'll try that.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,762

We don't have leftovers either really, except the kind that get recycled for a next meal.  Two hoovering dogs see to any protein and we eat our veggies.

I crush egg shells in my hand and bung them in compost corner.   Never know them deter slugs so stopped baking them years ago.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

I waste nothing. We either eat it, compost it, feed it to the birds or if it is cooked, bones or meat scrapes I leave it out for the foxes. Cooking fats I save and mix with wild bird food to make blocks that go on the bird feeder and the seagulls will quite happily munch away on a chicken carcass.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.