Forum home Fruit & veg

Combinations and 'Don't plant near'

So this autumn/winter and going into next year, I'm planning to overhaul the garden a bit to accommodate growing as much of my own as I can.

When reading guides, a lot of them state that as well as ideal plant partner combos, there are others which shouldn't be planted by each other (for example, Basil will kill Sage, don't plant garlic by beans or peas).

I am wondering what 'near each other' is defined as? I have quite a small garden, but there are separate areas of soil to use (hardscape separations, and herbs will be in pots.

Cam anyone shed any light? I have some garlic coming in the next week or two (Lautrec) but would also like to maybe sow a bean or two, and there'll no doubt be other 'don't do's' I'll come across.

Thanks image

• thedjjjthedjjj Posts: 84

So 'near to' is classed as the same bed ? Not as in distance ?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,378

sounds right

If plant that needs warm and wet is planted next to one that need cool and dry,  they will not both be suited

• thedjjjthedjjj Posts: 84

I'm not sure it's related to soil conditions, I assumed it was for some other reason - pests maybe, ?

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,557

I've never heard of sage and basil being a problem to one another (which doesn't mean it's not true) apart from, as has been said, one liking moist rich soil and frequent watering and the other liking hot dry conditions. I should think if your sage is far enough from the basil not to be getting wet every day when you water the basil, it'll be far enough.

As far as garlic with beans and peas is concerned, I'm not sure it's a well understood issue so there's probably not much specific guidance to say exactly how far is far enough. It is a great companion plant for lots of veg because of the smell and possibly that's also what has the effect on beans and peas. Plant garlic with your root crops and it will help and not hinder them.

There are others - 'don't plant fennel close to dill' or you get 'fendil' seems to mean opposite ends of the garden. 'Don't plant different types of mint together' seems to mean don't allow their roots to cross one another - so right next to each other is fine if they are in separate pots.

Some of these things you're just going to have to try it and find out then come and tell us what you've discovered so we can answer the question next time it arises  image

Last edited: 25 October 2017 21:57:54

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first”