Forum home Problem solving

Compost bins

I have 6 plastic compost bins with lids would it be better to uncover them and let the elements do the work

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,012

If the contents are moist then keep covered. Winter rain (if we get any) will make them a soggy mess take out the heat and leach the nutrients.

AB Still learning

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,458

Keep covered.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,454

Cover them, my uncovered heaps turned into a nasty anerobic mess, now they have covers it's all doing much better, although my chickens now think I made them one huge nest box, sigh.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,498

Bit different for me, living in SW France. Not enough rain to make them a soggy mess, I water them in summer and I don't cover them. In fact they are just old plastic dustbins with holes in the bottom, takes time, but I always get compost in the end.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi, 

Have you turned the compost ie: removed it from the bins and replaced back in to the his bins. I do this 2 to 3 times a year depending on how decomposed the material is. That when I water my compost If it's required. I would never leave the lids off, particularly this time of the year. Keep what heat you have in the bins 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,498

Hello Hollyhock, haven't seen you for ages.

Dordogne and Norfolk