Forum home The potting shed

Potting bench opinions...

Can anyone give me their opinion on what you think is essential when making a potting bench.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,209

I sthis for you are you another student seeking info for a project?

Either way, correct working height for your posture, enough space to contain some compost and the pots or trays being filled and planted or sown.  Sturdy legs so no wobbling.  A rim at back and sides to contain the compost and grit.  Shelf underneath for trays and pots.  Maybe hooks on the sides for some hand tools and sieve and flat bock for tamping down compost and a slot for an old kitchen fork and knife, a pencil, a dibber and a place to hang or perch a  radio.

Last edited: 25 October 2017 12:37:12

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

for me: getting the height right otherwise you'll end up with backache.

I suggest you stand at a table, or worktop and establish what height is right for you. 

I used to work in a garden when his potting bench had an orange box added to lift it, then a layer of coffee jar lids underneath his " potting tray" to get it exactly right. 

A bit of a faff at the start, but your back will thank you for it for ever.

Devon.
  • SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

Everything already said plus at least one end to have wheels so it can be easily  moved for cleaning. I also like a shelf over the top to hold things like rooting powder, small pots, sprayer, small watering can and labels.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

A bench home made to my height solid and with shelves and drawers, my small tools hanging on hooks on the wall above bench. A plastic tray with sides the back high front low that can be lifted on to the bench when it is not being used for other things (multi purpose that's me) a knee hole so I can sit on my high chair in comfort when potting on or repotting seedlings a radio and a window to the side so I can look out to see if it has stopped raining. Everything to hand before starting what ever job being carried out at the time. Put your brain out of gear and coast along to Henry Hall? oops wrong era, I mean Classic FM and dream about the perfect garden which lets face it no gardener ever achieves.

Frank.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

My potting bench and the view from it.

Devon.
  • The above posts all contain excellent advice but some of us are more limited in space than others and other than HFan, no one says "interior" or "exterior" altho mention of radios and the odd cup of tea tends to give the game away I suppose.

My GH is only 10 x 8 - smallest I've had for a long time and therefore my potting bench is necessarily small.  Works OK but can be limiting.  I have another bench outside - larger and jolly useful in the Spring/Summer months. Even at other times of year, I use it - just wrap up against the inclement weatherimage

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,209

In my Belgian garden I potted in the garage in grotty weather but ahd my main work area outside and open to teh elements - with an external socket for things like a radio, the strimmer, drill or Karcher as needed and an outside tap under which I stashed an old ceramic sink I found in a salvage place. Useful for washing pots but also for watering transplants, seedlings, divisions etc as I could leave them standing in it to drain at their own pace.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • My ideal is...

The right height...

Big enough to mix up all the potting medium I am going to need for the given job.

My reality is that I often pot up sitting on the floor with a washing up bowl.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

The saying goes needs must. Where I have not had the facility's I have now it was make do and mend one season I used the wheel barrow, tip the compost in and using one of those plastic kneel and stool things would sit potting on or sowing seeds, it did the job at the time. Once settled where I am now then came the Rolls Royce of benches, radio, tea maker come steamer and a facility for moving outside when the N.E. weather allowed such luxury. Gardeners have always been make do and mend people, watching my Father as he knocked things up, Hyponic Tomato's before it was invented, home built greenhouses and heating system, Hot boxes to name but a few. There is always a way and often the cheapest way is the best.

Frank.