fuchsia seed

AEEAEE Posts: 26

When and how is the best time you plant fuchsia seeds

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,568

Best time to sow seeds is in Spring.

Fuchsias won’t come true from seeds, if you’ve saved your own, best dome from cuttings, early Spring or late summer is the best time.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I do cuttings whenever I can, but I quite fancy trying seeds just because they won't come true. I love a lucky dip!

• AEEAEE Posts: 26

What do you mean they wont come true is it their colour or size?

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,739

Unless growing named species , most Fuchsias are hybrids and the resulting seedlings are unpredictable in nature .

PS  The seeds deteriorate rapidly in a few weeks , probably why favourite varieties are propagated from cuttings .

Thanks . Will look for young plants. I thought I might be different and bought white fuchsia seed but I think I made a mistake ah well why worry. Thanks again

AEE

If you have purchased  white flowering Fuchsia seed , then it should come true ! Give them a go .

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,568

Yes definitely, if it’s bought seed it will be fine, I just assumed you’d collected some from somewhere.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

They are bought seeds called Hawkshead. Fingers crossed

Good luck !image

• BiljeBilje Posts: 415

I bought Hawkshead as rooted tot plants about 3years ago. ..I absolutely love them. I'm building my stock up with cuttings. I have other hardy fushias in the gardentoo.  This  year I've discovered a self sown fushia plant, its near the Hawksheads so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that's what it is, hopefully it will flower next year.

best of luck with your seeds.