Forum home Wildlife gardening

Nuts!!

I've been putting out a small amount of peanuts (from a pet shop) in a feeder for several weeks but nothing ever seems to eat them. They go mouldy so I just keep throwing them away. Should I give up and try something else? I also put out dried mealworms, sunflower hearts and niger seeds which get eaten.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

I had the same experience when I started feeding birds.  I'd read that peanuts shouldn't be fed whole, because small birds can choke on them.  You either break them up or put them in a wire mesh feeder so they can peck bits off. I did both. They were happy enough to eat the broken bits, but there was no interest in the whole ones.  I Freecycled the feeder and remaining nuts, today I saw the man who took it. He hung it up at the bowling club, not a quarter of a mile away, and says it is well used!  I also Freecycled my Niger seed and feeder because nothing used it.  I was told "if you want goldfinches, you have to offer Niger seed.". I get plenty of goldfinches, but they eat everything except the niger!  I only feed mealworms in the breeding season as they cost an arm and a leg, but they are good for the nestlings which can't digest seed.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

When I did the shelledpeanuts the only thing that ate them was squirrels..

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,138

Don’t mention squirrels !!!

i buy these nuts as I found the same happened with the whole ones. They love them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25Kg-Peanut-Splits-Whole-Mix-Aflatoxin-Safe-Split-Peanuts-Wild-Bird-Food-/131844945626?hash=item1eb29236da:g:IVsAAOSwPh5ZHHrO 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Wilko sell kibbled peanuts, much safer image

• lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 332

They're in a mesh feeder with no shells.The dough ball hasn't been touched either, it has now gone mouldy.

• lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 332

Perhaps I'll try breaking them up a bit first and see if that makes a difference......

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,138

I find they don’t touch the fat balls until the winter, in the meantime I chop them up with the other bird food I put out on the ground. They love them that way. Just make sure the whole lot’s gone by the evening though, or sweep it up or you will have rats. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

Lyn Iwould have thought Foxes would be a bigger problem.. I put out feed for small birds today nothing so far..

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I find sunflower hearts to be the preferred food of most of my birds. (Gardenwildlifedirect.co.uk has great prices)  I like to have mealworms for the blackbirds but the rooks seem to smell them instantly and come eat them....and then figure out how to get to the seed feeders.   I also sprinkle suet pellets (£7 for 3kg at Wilkos) in the winter but again...attract rooks.  It's just been in the past year that I've had a problem with rooks.   They are too clever, too big and too scary looking. 

• I buy my seed at Costco, it's a good mix and very good price.