Pansy & Viola - have I sown to soon

KiliKili Posts: 124

Hello all. I'm hoping you experienced gardeners can advise me please?

At the end of September ( 2017) I sowed some Pansy and Viola seed  ( see image)as per the instructions on the packet with the intention of planting out next February/March.

I've just transplanted from the seed trays to individual pots and they look quite well advanced. There in my unheated greenhouse at the moment which even on a cloudy day with no sunshine and rain all day is showing 19 degrees on the thermometer. I've opened the roof lights but still have an average daytime temperature of 16-17 degrees.

Quite a bit further south then you in the UK as I live in Jersey.

Can you experienced gardeners looking at the image advise if they will come to fruition so to speak early than February or do they look normal at this stage for planting out in February/March?

Should I sow again now for February/March?

Many Thanks to one an all for you assistance.

Last edited: 23 October 2017 16:07:56

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• DimWitDimWit Posts: 553

Your seedlings are a bit stretched for their age, give them more light and less warmth! Pansies and violas enjoy cool weather, when they grow compact and leafy...

• KiliKili Posts: 124

Thanks Edd. I'll do what you say.

Thanks Dimwit. They were in a cold frame with the lid open until potting on when I moved them to the greenhouse so they have plenty of light but maybe a bit to warm then.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'