Forum home Problem solving

Sparrow infestation in leylandii hedge

• Thank you all for the replies! You've been most helpful! Indeed, I do not live in the UK, I live in Bulgaria and here sparrows are thriving. When I say infestation I mean hundreds of sparrows, literally. But if they are not harming the leylandii as you say, I don't care if they make a mess, I like them. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,851

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,157

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,703

Liriodendron: "I'm just wondering if Lyuba Spasova (the OP) is not in fact living in the UK.  It's hard to imagine anyone living here could be unaware of the decline in house sparrows.."

I have already expressed the view that it would be extremely helpful on this gardening forum if, next to each member's pseudo & avatar appeared their location. This feature is implemented in at least one (French) gardening forum of which I am a member. Each member's "location" could be as vague or as precise as the member decides, in order to preserve privacy. The advantage of the feature would be to avoid longish speculations and to make the other members' answers more related to the actual climate/geographical zone, etc.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,929

Lyuba probably used the incorrect wording in her explanation it  easily happens .I. think she is worried about her hedge  .but as others have explained the inner of the hedge sees no light  . What Lyuba does have is a free cleansing programme of aphid treatment. She will be spared losing her hedge to an Apid infestation!  And the colony of healthy birds.  ( your doing your bit for the RSPB!!!)

Our terracotta pan tile roof is home to a great many sparrows  it's very noisy  and I admit that the birds do a lot of damage.but in turn they give a great amount of joy.as lodgers  in my roof they not only share with me all of the nesting season mess  but  the  daily comings and goings.. grandchildren are fascinated  its such a learning curve too .

. I wouldn't change it for anything.!

Last edited: 24 October 2017 10:38:43

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,157
    Papi Jo says:

I have already expressed the view that it would be extremely helpful on this gardening forum if, next to each member's pseudo & avatar appeared their location. This feature is implemented in at least one (French) gardening forum of which I am a member. Each member's "location" could be as vague or as precise as the member decides, in order to preserve privacy. The advantage of the feature would be to avoid longish speculations and to make the other members' answers more related to the actual climate/geographical zone, etc.

See original post

The option is there PJ and it's easily accessible even if it doesn't appear with each post ... you and I have chosen to use it ... some people choose not to ... that's their choice.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137

I could round up a few hundred if anyone wants them, they obviously have migrated further south to Devon, the noise of them is deafening sometimes, I love them.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,304
    philippa smith2 says:

A nice explanatory post from the OP - good for herimage

See original post

I agree.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,850

Papi Jo, it's quite interesting doing the detective work sometimes, to guess where a poster is based.  Sometimes the name gives a clue (as with this post), the fluency of the question, a photograph which doesn't look quite British, or some wording (eg "dirt" and "yard" for "soil" and "garden", with an American poster).  And if you get a post arriving at 3am, it's either from an insomniac or a foreigner in a different time zone.  image

But I agree, if someone wants specific information, it's really helpful if they can give their location.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,850

I'm so glad Lyuba is happy with her sparrows.  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore