Forum home Problem solving

Sparrow infestation in leylandii hedge

• I love them, ours have recently returned and they hang out in the next door neighbour's pyrocatha!

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,034

They ate every single blossom bud on my cherry plum this year. Last year they missed one blossom but I'd still rather have the sparrows

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,990

Feel a bit sorry for the original poster. Ask a simple question and get a lot of flak over it. Still............

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,157

Don't think it's flak Berghill image  We're giving explanations of the situation and offering another viewpoint including reassurance that the sparrows are not damaging the hedge, which was her concern.

No one's said anything nasty.  

Perhaps we could encourage the OP to take part in the Big Garden Birdwatch in January ... it would be good if a thriving colony of house sparrows was recorded for the RSPB. image

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/birdwatch 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

We have loads of sparrows here.  They make a ring around one sparrow having a dust bath at the side of the road.  Makes me smile.  I have put up sparrow boxes on the house as I love to hear their chatter in the mornings.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,157

Sparrows having a dustbath ... such happy memories of watching them as a child on the Suffolk farm where I lived ... and also more happy memories of sitting on a bench with OH 23 years ago in a square in Paris watching sparrows in the dust ............ 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555

Ours use the "rose garden" now that we've cleared the weeds and moved earth to lay out a paved area and then ground to a halt because of the drought.   We get a dozen at a time all telling each other what fun they're having.  They've loved it, along with the self sown sunflower and petunia that have appeared in the newer weeds.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,850

I'm just wondering if Lyuba Spasova (the OP) is not in fact living in the UK.  It's hard to imagine anyone living here could be unaware of the decline in house sparrows... I'd give a lot to see them in my garden in West Yorks.  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,195

PERHAPS THEY ARE STILL TEN A PENNY IN BULGARIA.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.