Forum home Problem solving

Eucomis (Pineapple Lily) not growing.

i bought a bulb from RHS Cardiff 19mths ago and both summers since all I’ve got is an inch growth above the container level, any ideas where I’m going wrong?

Its potted in a 50cm plastic container in general compost, with drainage and a bark covering for protection in a south facing position.

I’m contemplating putting it in my temporary greenhouse this year.

Any help would be great.

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,173

My experience is that eucomis are pretty hardy, and no special treatment is necessary.  I do put mine in a sheltered spot over winter, but that's just about it.

I wonder if it could be worth contacting RHS Cardiff?  Sometimes, for no obvious reason, plants fail to thrive, and the seller is happy to replace the offending plant.

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Hi Matt, i agree with shrinking violet, take a photo of it and email RHS, i'm sure they will replace it. I had this in spring this year with dahlia cafe au lait which i bought from sarah raven, it never grew well or flowered, they kindly replaced it. I do have pineapple lily myself, i am wintering them out (all in pots) in a sheltered spot, if it gets very cold i'll move them into the greenhouse ?

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

I would dig it out, put it in a smaller pot, put somewhere sheltered over the winter, then see what it does next year. It hasn't rotted has it?  I assume you are in Wales? 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Thank you all for the advice, I’ll see how it goes this year and probably repot and grit mulch if no joy.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,987
    They also like feeding. Remember that MPC has only got food for about 6 weeks after potting.