Forum home Plants

Transplanting a potted late flowering clematis to open ground

moandtomoandto Posts: 15

I have a late flowering clematis which has been in a pot for the last few years, I have decided that I would like to transplant it to the base of a flowering cherry tree which is south facing.

When is it the best time to transplant, and any tips would be most appreciated. 

Last edited: 22 October 2017 17:40:35

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,009

Clematis are hungry, thirsty plants so you will need to make sure it has a very good planting hole where it can get its roots down deep and not have to compete, especially whilst it's getting established.  This may mean you need to distance it from the trunk and lead it up the cherry tree with wires or a stake of some sort.

Water well then plant it a few inches deeper than it was in the pot as this encourages extra shoots to form and give it another good drink.  Make sure you give it a generous feed of clematis food every spring and prune and train it as necessary.  Late flowerers usually get pruned back hard in Feb/March and then flower on new season's growth.

Last edited: 22 October 2017 18:00:59

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,144

philippa smith2 is spot on !

If mine I would plant the roots about 2' feet away from the tree , on the North-side out of sunshine for most of the day .

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,144

Obelixx

Only just read your thread ! Ditto !!image