Forum home Tools and techniques

Roots!!!

Hey everyone, So I'm going to do up our existing garden beds with tropical plants, the only plants that are in the garden beds are big golden cane palms that have been there for years. It is impossible to dig a hole in the dirt because of the roots from the palm. But I need to loosen up the soil before I plant my tropical plants. What can I just that will make life a lot easier. I saw a drill bit extension hat you connect to a hand drill and it loosens up the soil for you. Would his work or do I have to use a tilling machine 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,270

I don't think a tilling machine will cope with roots very well.   Sounds like you need a manual pick axe or a mechanical digger.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Damn :(

• Like a little dingo or something ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,641

Aha ... you're in Australia ... most of us (with a few notable exceptions) are in the UK.  image

If you hang around until they appear, Pat or Glenys may be able to help you with that one ... they both live in Australia. 

Last edited: 22 October 2017 14:27:02

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,270

The only dingo I know is a wild Ozzie dog.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,736

Something like this?image

Search the internet for "Toro dingo".

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).