Coping with withdrawal symptoms

KT53KT53 Posts: 2,525

Beechgrove has already gone, and GW ends next week.  What coping strategies are others going to use to cope? image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,819

The freezer has to be filled with mince pies and sausage rolls. Christmas puddings and cake must be made. Pears must be pickled and so must peaches. 

Gardening? Well amaryllis must be potted 6 weeks before Christmas. 

i think my time will be filled pretty adequately image

There will also be forum queries to read and catalogues to read ...

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,672

Recorded gardening programmes will be used to fill the void. And all the issues of The Garden and GW Mag I haven't got round to reading properly. And all the gardening books I've optimistically got out of the library. Plus college textbooks, plan drawings of what I want to achieve next year, plant catalogues...

Who am I kidding? 

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,439

One day at a time.  Today, making bread pudding, then, while it's in the oven, sorting the mountain of tomatoes, in varying degrees of ripeness and damage, that I brought in yesterday.  Shredding paper for the compost bin and shredding two big bagfuls of hedge clippings - it's raining, but I can do that in the garage.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,819

... and how will I fill that hour on Friday evenings? 

Well, given that OH has to keep prodding me to keep me awake after 9pm so I can watch GW, I'll probably fall asleep on the sofa image

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 12,717

Never watch GW live any more as it's on after dinner here and OH likes to watch other stuff.    For me, while sewing, repetitive watching of GH DVDs and later on showing the relevant bits to OH as we're laying a terrace/seating area sometime soon.  At some point, I shall be catching up on all saved recordings of Beechgrove and some GW for the bits relevant to us in this new garden.  

Then I have RHS Garden magazines, assorted books and plenty of crafts and decorating to keep me busy.   GW has long since ceased to be a must watch with no distractions.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 10,225

I haven’t watched gardeners world since it went to an hour slot.

We could fill the time catching up on housework that hasn’t been done all summer ?

Cake, puddings and pigs in blankets already made, lots of knitting and crochet projects to be done and I have a rug kit half done so will try to finish that.

Lots of seeds to sort out and look up sowing instructions, Winter goes so quickly I look forward to the break and then Spring is on us in no time, no time to get bored. 

I love the long winter evenings, drawing the curtains at 4.30 pm snuggling in a rug. Brilliant.?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    I live in fear and desperation,
    should I die before I die to live again.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,063

TV? I can't remember how that goes image

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,433

I rarely watch tv and the few things I like I relied on Paul to remind me when they were on. Before his health got really bad he set up the TVs to record the whole series of gardens world for me straight on to the hard drive. I haven't watched any in months so sometime over the dark winter months I have pratically the whole series to watch if I can figure out how the record system works.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,200

Shush about needing to catch up on the housework because you have spent all summer in the garden.  Mine shows a decided lack of any domestic pride.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 13,039

I spend the winter nights reading the books I didn't have time for when the nights were light.

SW Scotland