Wishfull thinking?

Kathy43Kathy43 Posts: 80

Hi all

I have a 4 inch gap,running down the side of my path. It's not able to have soil in,as my neighbours fence won't allow.

It seems such a waste of space.I can't get narrow enough troughs to go there. ..are there any tall plants,that would be happy in a 4 inch pots,with shallow roots?

It's in full Sun. Thanks all

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,161

I have a similar space but unfortunately it's on the north side of the wall so in shade ... if it was in sun all day I'd put some gravel there and grow sedums and sempervivums there as I did in a similar space at a previous home. 

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • Kathy43Kathy43 Posts: 80

There's a thought, but I'd like a bit of height, too. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,161

Aeoniums, especially Aeonium atropurpureaum 'Schwarzkopf' would look fine with the other succulents I mentioned and  give you some height ... although you'd have to keep them in pots and take them indoors to overwinter.  

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 

Ah, OK. Wishful thinking it would be suitable! 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 1,786

If your soil is thin and free draining, you could try Linaria Purpurea. Another pink one 'Canon Went'. 

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 10,410

How about something like 'Honesty'?  Lunaria annua, sown straight into the soil?  Give you height, pretty purple flowers, those lovely papery silver 'moons' throughout autumn, and seeds for next year!  It sows itself very readily.  Doesn't need much depth or cossetting.

With a neighbour's fence giving shelter and height and probably  some shade depending on it's height at one side, you need to give some thought to this.  

Last edited: 20 October 2017 18:04:01

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞

It's concrete, so has to be a container. Some nice suggestions. I've bought some pink Heather's, and put them in deep pots, and lavender which they were selling off cheap, 6 for £4.i need some deeper pots for the lavender, but they will need moving in time! 

I will put pictures on, when it's light, so you can see what I mean

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 10,410

Ah, right, Kathy, see what you mean.  It's going to have to be containers, then.  Lavender isn't long-lived, either in pots or in soil, so think hard about that one.

Do you have the opportunity to make the 'bed' wider, or will that cut into your lawn?  Tricky, but not insurmountable......thinking caps on! image

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞

No, we are stuck with it as it is, unfortunately!