Forum home Plants

Memorial tree

I am looking to plant a memorial tree in my garden to remember a lost child and looking for recommendations with regards to suitable trees or plants that will remain for many years to come.

Property is not huge just a standard semi detached

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,766

There is quite a large choice so it rather depends on what you like. If you are a bit short of space then a crab apple is good as it has flowers in spring and fruit (from yellow to dark red) in autumn, which you can make jelly from or leave for the birds to eat in winter. An Amalanchier is pretty, creamy white flowers in spring and good autumn colour.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • I bought a. standard rose for my late sister (2015)

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

There's always Rosemary (for remembrance).  I know it's not a tree, but you can always ensure that you have cuttings, so that, if you move, you still have something from the original plant.  

Rosemary can get quite large, so it could serve your purpose, and have an aromatic element to your memory.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,766

Had another thought. Lots of plants have Christian names, what about something with the same name as the child? Would that be practical?

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • My late sister was called Pauline I just bought some Iris named Pauline..?

• when we wanted to put something in the garden to remember a dear friend we did as shrinking violet suggested and planted rosemary you can take it with you if you move.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

you might want something in a pot rather than in the ground, as if in 20 years you want to move you can take it with you.

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

I planted a rose this week on what would have been my husbands 60 th birthday.

it is a David Austin rose called remember me

i have planted the brush but it also comes in standard 

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• CopperdogCopperdog Posts: 617

We had to say a sad goodnight to our wonderful little dog Copper the Friday before last.  We have buried him in the garden and friends of ours bought us a beautiful copper coloured rose called 'Copper Delight.'  Yesterday we bought a Sorbus Olympic Flame tree with beautiful autumn orangey leaves to plant for him too. XX