Forum home Plants

Deadheading Nerines

2»

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

solomondolphin  Sorry I realise my "won't flower again" was confusing I should have added not flower again this year. Do perevere mine are lovely and worth waiting  for at this time of year..

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,325

imageThese Nerines didn't do this until I cleared some of the stuff growing around them allowing them to be "baked" as Dove mentioned.  I've been here three years now and this year they've been glorious (now I know what they are!).  The first two seasons, surrounded by weeds and overgrown by other stuff they did nothing other than grow leaves and die back down again.  They put out the flowers after the leaves have died down.  They are open in a S/SE facing position in horrid, dry clay soil.  Hope this is helpful.

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,325

Just re-read the original question.  I will probably leave these tops on over winter and cut them down next year if they haven't disappeared naturally by then! 

• BusylizBusyliz Posts: 72

These are restricted in a pot. I do absolutely nothing to them other than give them a scattering of bonemeal in the spring.

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

Lovely! This is the first year I have got mine right, They were always planted too deeply  before. They do spread well.

"Treat them mean keep them keen."

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Brilliant! Thanks so much for the replies. Happy to hear that they spread as well, I will plant them shallowly in a large pot and hopefully reap the rewards!

All the best