Deadheading Nerines

Hi there, 

I've recently bought my first nerine and wanted to find out how best to deadhead it to try and keep it going (it has another shoot coming through). I've had a search over the last half hour and am struggling to find a specific answer. This may sound silly, but not sure if I should take the individual flowers off each spurt (if so, where to cut it?) or wait for the cluster of flowers to die down? 

Many thanks, 

Solomon 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,722

The only silly question is the one you don't ask image

Wait for the cluster of flowers to die, then snip the stem a couple of inches from its base.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

They will not repeat flower. Mine were still flowering happily until the temperature dropped to 8C today. 

"And the winter is coming on fast ready to kill." 

Time to look after our tender plants. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I can't get my nerines to flower. 

Any tips? 

They need to be planted really shallow ... Almost out of the ground, in poor soil where they get baked by the sun image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,177

I read they like to be cramped in the same way as agapanthus do.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Thanks. 

I saw a garden full of them at the weekend. They looked glorious.  

• Dovefromabove says:

The only silly question is the one you don't ask image

Wait for the cluster of flowers to die, then snip the stem a couple of inches from its base.  

See original post

Thanks, I'll wait until the lot of them die back and then cut it. Thanks also for the tip about how to plant it. I think it will need replanting as it's just shoved in a normal pot, would you recommend any specific time of year to replant?

• Iamweedy says:

They will not repeat flower. Mine were still flowering happily until the temperature dropped to 8C today. 

"And the winter is coming on fast ready to kill." 

Time to look after our tender plants. 

See original post

Thanks for the reply. Although, genuinely sorry, I'm slightly confused. Do you mean each bulb won't reflower? It's my first time growing these types, so am still getting to grasp with it. I read previously that they said to keep flowering going to deadhead them, if they don't re-flower, what is the purpose of deadheading? 

You deadhead to prevent the formation of seeds so the plant can put its energy into building the bulb up to flower again the following year. 

• Dovefromabove says:

You deadhead to prevent the formation of seeds so the plant can put its energy into building the bulb up to flower again the following year. 

See original post

Gotcha, just like with daffodils, of course. Sorry for the derp :) Thanks again.