Forum home Fruit & veg

Fireash

can anyone advise me please. Can I dig into my green house earth ash from my fire once it is cold?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,122

It depends what you burn on your fire ... 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135

Only wood ash, not coal.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

I wouldn't put it into the greenhouse earth - don't ask me why as I don't know - but I would just scatter it on beds and borders.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

Mine goes in the compost bin.

When we had a wood burner we used wood ash in the compost heap or to spread around fruit bushes and orchard trees. However we only burned logs, never any painted or treated wood or any fire lighters or coke/coal etc. as these would be harmful to the garden. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,284

eek! I use firelighters , but I still stick the ash in the compost bins.image

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,549

Been watching the ornamental Kitchen Garden DVD while sewing and a lovely old chap uses his ash to sprinkle on potatoes after planting and before covering +up with earth.   Says it keeps the slugs off the tubers.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,284

I guess the residues form such a tiny proportion of the overall mix it can't do much harm.

Devon.