Forum home Tools and techniques

Gardening Gloves

What are the factors to consider when purchasing gardening gloves?

Looking for recommendations.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

It depends on what sort of gloves you need. 

Gloves to keep your hand warm when working in the cold, or gloves to keep them dry when working with  wet stuff, or gloves to stop thorns getting through when working with prickly stuff. Or just gloves to keep your hands clean.

Last edited: 18 October 2017 07:14:03

Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,500

The best I've found for general use are made by Spear and Jackson.  They have fabric backs but the palms and fingers have a tough coating on them.  I can still feel through them enough to tie string etc, which I can't in the thicker leather gloves.  They are a nice close fit too.

As Hostafan1 suggests, there's not really a single pair of gloves which is well suited for all occasions.

• It's harder to get a good fit if you are female. "Ladies'" gloves are all pink and lilac, made for tittuping around with a pair of snips dead-heading the roses. Not for heavy pruning, moving stone, cutting down trees or grubbing up stumps which are things I have to do, but mens' ones are often too loose, especially on the fingers.

I use single use latex or nitrile ones for  weeding, to keep hands clean, or wet jobs and if necessary wear them inside other gloves. I'm currently using some nice Hi-viz bright yellow and black ones (male of course!) from Homebase which are sold in packs of 3 and seem reasonably durable for the low price, while not being too enormous. Washing up gloves are good for pulling up nettles as they cover the wrists. Latex ones are too thin. Ouch!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,575

I use washing up gloves for pulling brambles they don’t let thorns through and at that price you can throw them away after a while.

Latex for weeding and none at all for pricking out seeds.

someone bought me a lovely expensive real leather pair, when they got wet from plants and soil they went hard and I couldn’t wear them as they hurt to move my fingers.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,992

I use thin leather gloves - made for ladies - and have found them the best over the years.  All the fabric ones go at the fingers in no time at all  as I have long nails. The leather ones do get wet but they are fine. I replace them every 2 years or so. When I am guddling at the pond I wear washing up gloves. When I was doing a complete garden creation, mixing cement, laying slabs etc, I used to wear a pair of riggers gloves and they lasted forever. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 776

I use these as they are comfy have good grips and  great when I have tasks in the garden that involve water.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,575

I have used those green ones in the above picture but find prickles go straight through them. Also not a very good hands on feel. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Same here Doghouse. I find Wilko's brand of gloves quite good for the price. Tbh, if you do all types of gardening over a complete season then I find that cheap prices gloves from Wilko etc are better. Just replace when required 

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

Why do I have a bag full of only left handed gloves?

I want gloves that fit and are flexible enough to pick up small weeds.  Preferable fabric ones.

Briers do seem to have some comfortable ones. I do sometimes use the cheap latex ones but they fall apart to easily .

The trouble is all are hands are different sizes and "one size does not fit all". Most really cheap ones are so flimsy and poorly made  they are not worth buying . I would not buy gloves on line unless I had tried them on.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I spent the summer as a jobbing gardener.  Tried lots of different gloves but the best were the ones from Wilkos 3 for £2 or something like that.  They actually lasted longer than the expensive gloves and were cheap enough to replace when they did wear out.  If you are weeding 4 hours a day, the fingers soon develop holes.     At home, I usually forget to put my gloves on and wind up with broken and filthy fingernails and scratches from thorns. 

I once had some Bosch gloves that were very sturdy and still allowed your fingers to move but they don't seem to make them in a woman's size anymore and I only have one of them now.