Forum home Plants

Scabious

Joy90Joy90 Posts: 35

i grew this from seeds and wonder if it will be hardy or dig it up and put in my cold frame for the winter?image

• It looks like Knautia macedonica, which is hardy.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,626

It’s Black Knight. A beauty. 

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,626

Should have added, it is hardy, but short lived. I always grow one or two extra each year. 

• Joy90Joy90 Posts: 35

Should I cover it with a mulch ? We live in Norfolk our soil is loamy and a bit on sandy side but not too much. I will collect seed cos that’s how I grew it last year.

• I was just going to ask a similar question Joy90.  I have grown this plant in a large pot this summer (grown from seed), and want to know if it will die down completely in the winter and reappear next summer or should I plant it in the flower bed.  It is still flowering now with quite a few more buds to open.image

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,636

I think these ones are treated as annuals. As KeenOnGreen says, they can come back but very short-lived. The Knautia Macendonica ones are more long term.

• Oh that is a shame Borderline, but I have collected some seed, so perhaps new plants may be grown from them next spring.  I wonder if I should plants some seed now (in cold greenhouse), or would they become leggy before next Spring?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,374

Is that one of mine GD? It looks familiar but I can't remember if it was you that had them

If it is, I start them in  spring.

They look like perennials, lots of new growth starting now. But not reliable over winter

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,636

Guernsey Donkey2, I haven't grown them before, but know they are best grown from seed next year in early spring time. You could try now, but I agree that you may just be making them grow leggy and causing yourself extra work. But the ones you still have growing now, you can leave them as they are, and they will probably come back next year if your conditions are good and they are thriving already.

• Yes, I believe that it is, thanks nutcutlet.  In fact I was lucky to receive quite a lot of seeds over the last winter/spring from generous people on this site, an amazing amount in fact and I have to admit I didn't record who had sent them.

It was brilliant watching them germinate and some did really well including these Black Night which wave around in the wind and are still giving a mass of flowers for us. Since they are in a pot, I may try placing them in the cold GH over winter just to see how they fare, or as you suggest start a new batch in the Spring - undecided.