Forum home Plants

Tall Perennial Ideas for Containers

Hi everybody, I am looking for some inspiration for two containers for my summerhouse decking. The decking is off the ground and has a rail around it and I would like the flowers to show above the rail.

My pot sizes are 45cm high and 35cm width (although I can get taller ones if necessary).  If possible, I would like something that flowers for a long time and keeps its foliage through the summer.

Thanks in anticipation

• Hi

not sure if this is ideal for containers but I am planning on planting this net years to add some height in my sunny border

https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/veronicastrum-virginicum-album/classid.2000013965/

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

Verbena bonariensis? How much sun are we talking?

Last edited: 17 October 2017 19:01:14

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,860

Some of the taller lilies would fit the bill. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

If the pot is 18 inches, the railings will be about 3 feet so we are looking for:

something which is over 2 ft tall and flowers all summer.

Not sure if Cosmos would do well in a pot but that is one. The bigger dahlias might be another. Catmint also flowers all summer. And I had flowers on my penstemons for months. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Hi  Mark56, the sun is on the decking in the afternoon until sunset. 

hogweed, yes the plant needs to be 2’ or more. I like the sound of cosmos but I was not sure if it grows well in a pot. Hubby not too keen on penstemons.    

GardenSpurs and Fairygirl, will look at lilies and veronicastrum.

many thanks everyone