Forum home Tools and techniques

Weather Watch

Which weather sites/apps/TV channels etc do you prefer to use when planning to garden (or when protecting your plants over winter)?

• I use xcweather.co.uk which I have found reasonably accurate for a spot with idiosyncratic weather.

I find the rain forecasts on it often work better if thought of as probabilities when predicting small amounts, but it helps me plan my days knowing when things may get better or worse.

Because of reception issues I can't get a properly local TV weather forecast, but I find the Channel 4 one generally seems more optimistic and cheering than the BBC and is no more often wrongimage

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Put your post code in the weather box of your local TV station they are usually 50% right. I have windows looking North South East West and can see where the weather front is over the coast or across the valley to the Cleveland Hills, stepping into the garden it is an almost clear view to the foothills of the Pennine's. I find the eye ball better than any forecast or app. Go out dressed for the worst and peel off what is not needed although upsetting the neighbours by stripping to the buff is not recommended.

Frank.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

I use bbc news / weather and  weather.com.

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,478

THE BBC IS CONSISTENTLY WRONG. I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF ENGLAND. 

I USE THE MET OFFICE WEBSITE WHICH, PRESUMABLY THE BBC DOES ALSO. I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY CAN GET IT SO WRONG.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

that's why I use both. An average of the two is pretty ok for us.

Devon.
  • pansyface says:

THE BBC IS CONSISTENTLY WRONG. I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF ENGLAND. 

I USE THE MET OFFICE WEBSITE WHICH, PRESUMABLY THE BBC DOES ALSO. I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY CAN GET IT SO WRONG.

imageSee original post

You've hit the nail on the head. Where's the middle of England? Some folks think it's Meriden, others claim it's Bakewell. Very different weather on many days of the year.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,119

Google Yr/no. Very good for me in Isle of Wight.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,478

WELL, JOE, I WASN'T THINKING OF MY PRECISE LOCATION BUT I AM A PUDDING'S THROW (OR TWO) FROM BAKEWELL. image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

there's a Devon saying:

" If you can't see Dartmoor, it's raining: and if you can see it, then it's about to rain"

Devon.