Nesting for birds/mice...

Morning all. With my garden looking so bare at the moment, its got me thinking. I would love for birds, wrens, blackbirds,or a little mouse, to take up residency in my border.

i have an ideal patch, under the honeysuckle, but i need to find a suitable evergreen, for them to live in.

I cant go big, 1.2 metre wide at the most,and maybe the same in height, (but i would like smaller height), and its shady. I love the look of berries,too.

I am struggling with availability , so the easier to get hold of the better.

Please help...I like the gaultheria mucronta bell seedlings, but it likes full sun

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,370

The RHS website says it likes full or partial shade. Certainly my wintergreen plant is happy in the shade image. Or maybe have small holly - the birds love those and you can keep them small if you keep them trimmed.

If you want robins or wrens in your garden, you should have a look on the RSPB website for bird boxes. They can be low down on a fence behind shrubs for both these birds so no ladder climbing needed 

To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,220

Helpful advice about siting the different types of nest boxes for different types of birds here    https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/read-and-learn/helping-birds/nestboxes/smallbirds/siting.aspx 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Kathy43Kathy43 Posts: 112

Yes, Ive looked on another website, and that says shade! I wondered why all the other gaultheria liked shade, but that one didn't! I think holly maybe too big. I saw a nice little one, but it won't produce berries. But it is lovely. I might get one, if I can find one, as my daughter is called Holly, and Hollyhocks won't grow in my garden!

I wonder if I should put a box there, and just let the bush grow around it naturally...

• I'd be careful about the desire for a mouse to take up residence - it won't remain single for long - particularly if you feed the garden birdsimage

If you want the birds all year round, carefully sited nest boxes along with suitable shrubbery to roost in would be the ideal solution.  Don't be put off if the birds turn their beaks up at the des. res. to begin with.  They are often more picky when viewing a prospective property than we humans areimage

philippa smith2 says:

...  They are often more picky when viewing a prospective property than we humans areimage

Possibly 'cos we're a bit further up the food chain than they are Philippa image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I found a drowned mouse in my old pond, so they are about! I've since revamped the pond, so it could swim out now

• Dove - "further up the food chain" - frequently these days, I do actually wonder about thatimage

Kathy - if it drowned, it's unlikely to be swimming anywhere now - you need another mouse to test the revamped pondimage

Philippa image

philippa smith2 says:

Dove - "further up the food chain" - frequently these days, I do actually wonder about thatimage

Kathy - if it drowned, it's unlikely to be swimming anywhere now - you need another mouse to test the revamped pondimage

See original post

You know what I meant image