Forum home Plants

Pruning a Viburnum

image I have a Viburnum (tinus I believe) which has become much taller than I would like.  It is also bare towards the bottom of the shrub.  Can any one offer any advice  on how to best tackle this shrub to get it back under control?

Thank you

• This is what I do with mine.

It flowers on last years summer growth so if you prune it back over the summer, autumn or winter mine will not flower in the spring.

So i prune it back fairly hard as soon as flowering is over to allow new growth to form that will produce flowers in the following spring.   I've noticed that flowering is much more prolific too.

So I'm thinking that if you prune it back now you'll have no flowers in the new year.

I have found that I can prune back hard and it just bounces back very quickly.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

most viburnums you prune after flowering, but what you're asking about is formative pruning (or hacking) you could take it to the ground and it would come back.

best done in early to mid summer, so it has time to reshoot and the new shoots to harden off before the first frosts.

• Thanks to Cottage Compost & treehugger.  So it sounds from what you both say that it is best left for now.  My only concern is if I don't do anything until early next summer it will be even more unmanageable.

if I were to remove a third to a half from the top right now, would I be doing it more harm than good. At this stage it is more important to me that I get it back into a decent size rather than having lots of flowers next year.

Thanks

• It's not going to grow anymore now until next summer, I would wait until June'ish then prune / hack back as much as you like.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700

Looking at the photo, I don't recommend pruning right down to the ground. You can thin a few of the stems lower down and see, but I don't think it's advisable to do all as they may not come back. Also, if you are not worried about the flowers, you can start pruning in spring time.