Greenhouses

Hi all,

I have dreamt of having a greenhouse. A little place to sit on wetter days on a stool and play with my plants. 

I have finally selected a greenhouse. 6 x 4, with toughened glass, auto vent and louvre panel. It is as big as I can fit in my little garden. I was very swayed towards polycarbonate but then became fearful of it blowing away. There isn't a lot of wind in the garden, but we have had storms in the past. 

My choice of greenhouse, although on the cheap end, is much more then I had budgeted. Almost double. I've never had one before though, and excited and nervous to make such a big purchase. I feel I need a little boost of encouragement from other gardeners, so:

How does your greenhouse boost your happiness?

What fantastic gardeny things does it let you do?

Thanks all :)

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,197

I sit in mine for winter coffee breaks when the sun shines (not heated)

• NatbatNatbat Posts: 62

Thanks nutcutlet, mine wont be heated either but will catch the morning sun. Should be a good place to sit with a cuppa and plan for the year ahead. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,423

I garden at 1200ft and can get inclement weather at any time of year.

My greenhouse is my haven, out of wind and rain, where I can potter, prick out, pot on, plan or just sit and enjoy the flowers that I grow protected from the destructive forces outside.It means I can get some restorative gardening any day of the year.

More prosaically, it means I can get an earlier start on growing seeds and plants in spring, giving me more growing time than I would otherwise get and it lets me grow things that would not survive here without its protection, such as salvias, agapanthus and dahlias.

Last edited: 15 October 2017 21:21:23

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,242

There isn't usually room to sit in mine and pottering is more a shuffle but I love it. I can keep lots of half hardy plants instead of throwing them away each year and start seedlings and dahlias nice and early. I could grow my own tomatoes and so on but I must admit that I don't because I'd rather have flowers!

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,173

I am very tempted to get rid of my 7 x 3 shed and get a lean to greenhouse. For all the reasons outlined above. Need to get organised with my storage first though. And I might feel a bit odd sitting there as it's in direct line of sight of the neighbours. I might feel a bit like an exhibit in a glass case...

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,242

Crikey, what are you planning to do in there? My neighbours would soon get bored watching me in mine, even day time telly is more exciting.....

• BLTBLT Posts: 513

I too took the plunge and bought a 6x4 poly carbonate greenhouse.. I sited it carefully so as to get the sun and to deflect the prevailing wind which buffets big time in the inclement weather. 

I have 20 steel stakes holding mine down because my previous plastic grow houses blew over etc..

I think I have had a great first season and grew lots.. I still have some exotic veg to harvest.. I am growing christmas new potatoes that might actually suceed this year.. I got worriedwhen I first got it and it made a noise when the wind blew.. But its ok.. So I will be able to steal a march on early sowing this time.. Maybe protect a few plants too..

I did make the mistake in cramming too much in it.. so next season I will be sensible..

No room for a cuppa lol.

Last edited: 15 October 2017 22:52:01

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

My greenhouse is a 6 x4 poly and I have had it just short of 5 years and it is still as good as new if I ever get around to giving it a clean. It just sits on its brick base and has never blown even an inch from where it sits. It does rattle in high winds but for a cheap greenhouse it has been a great buy.

i need something larger now so in the spring I will add a 6 x 8 and keep the smaller one for growing cucumbers, toms and maybe strawberries.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,326

Polycarbonate may be cheaper in the first instance but it does deteriorate.  Toughened glass is more economical in the long run.

• JessumJessum Posts: 31

I have only had my greenhouse a couple of weeks but I just love it!  I bought mine on Gumtree and was so lucky to find it.  I was given the shelving and the bench and a little trolley thing on wheels which I painted sage green.  A a water buttimage was also included.  It is a 6 x 8 with toughened glass, two window vents and a louvre. I have had great fun arranging my bits and bobs.  I have recently put my succulents in there plus some potted up agapanthus.

The outside needs a bit of landscaping/planting as the greenhouse is halfway down a long narrow garden.  Please ignore my "water feature" bath, it has to be removed! I would recommend a greenhouse to anyone as it provides a nice little haven to relax, plant bulbs, sort out pots or anything really.