Over Wintering Canna Lillies

I have 3 Canna Lillies which have been in pots over summer I have had no flowers on any of them. They are only about 2ft.

What should I do with them over winter. I was going to bring them in to a cold greenhouse and keep them in their pots.

Any advice please.image

• I have cannas in pots and I will take them in the summerhouse to over winter, not done it yet as they are  still flowering well but won’t be long.

next year maybe repot into larger pots and feed all summer and they like a lot of water but not sat in it Then they should flower.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,296

I'm sure Chrissy means lots of water in summer. Keep them on the dry side over winter.

Devon.
  • Thanks Hosta, I hardly water mine in the winter.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,296

Devon.
  • Depends how much frost you get,

I will trim mine right down to two leaves and about a foot of stem above that, cover with fleece and keep in the shed with a tablespoon of water just to stop it drying out. Depends how winter goes.

One pup I will be leaving in the ground buried  under decrative  stone, another pup is planted in the border in the back garden with protection to the roots and fleece.

The main one is still in flower

• Thank you for your help
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 400
    And if you want any smaller ones next year, I'd recommend the Cannova cultivars, they have flowered for the last three months and keep going https://www.cannova.info/ and look great in pots. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    ...and just realised it was such an old exchange...but recommendation stands 😄
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,284
    Not heard of those @amancalledgeorge. Did you buy them locally or online?

I keep meaning to get another canna, now that I have a little greenhouse and don't need to bring them into the house over winter. They were suffering from viruses though, which put me off a bit. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I got them at a local nursery @Fairygirl they have been brilliant, non stop flowers and they stay a compact size. That's one plant it's the mango colour (inaccurate naming...lovely soft colour).