Forum home Tools and techniques

glyphosate ok around Leylandii ?

hi all

i have a 600 sq meter garden with a leylandii all the way around. We bought the place 4 years ago.

the hedge was planted in the 80s and is infested with ivy, brambles, elder trees and other things. I’m thinking of slowly and lightly treating with glyphosate to kill the undesirables off but I don’t want to kill the trees.

Im lead to believe a full grown conifer shouldn’t be affected much by it but I thought i’d Check with people smarter than me.

thanks in advance 

• Where are you planning to spray the glyph? If you spray it over the green parts of the conifer it will be affected. 

It's also rather late in the season for treatment. I'd wait until late april, and either spray away from the hedge but on the undesirables, or go around with gloves and a sponge and sponge some heavily concentrated glyph solution onto the leaves of those thing you don't want.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,904

Last year we tackled a similar problem to yours ; a very large country house with a massive woodland garden having been left unkempt for over 15 years ; physical extraction of the 'undesirables' was the only option . Took  us a solid fortnight @ 8-hours a day using mattocks and chainsaws etc .

Brambles scrambling to the tree tops ; elder and Rhus gone berserk etc. Glyphosate wouldn't have been too effective on these as they would have required numerous applications ; our business has access to 'industrial' grade weedkillers available to us through farming contacts etc.  I certainly would't use it anywhere near plants I wanted to keep .

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,732

Glyphosate image

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

I would doubt if any Glyphosate just applied "lightly" would touch the problem.

Chop or saw all "the undesirables" off at ground level ASAP!  At least that will at least stop the situation getting any worse and give you some time to get working on it. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'