Forum home Wildlife gardening

foxes and pond planting

I am a wildlife enthusiast and have a lot of wildlife in my garden.  The most prominent is a long history of foxes living in my garden or passing through.  This year I have hosted a family of 5 which are now desperately hungry I think as twice 2 of my edge pond plants have been turned upside and the hessian liner removed.  I found the hessian some distance away discarded as obviously not that interesting to eat.

Can yo tell me why the foxes do this and how can I discourage them from muddying my pond?  As a rule I don't feed foxes but there is a lot of remains in my garden of various kinds.  I guess it's hard for a family that large to find food.  Any suggestions on that front either?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Do not feed them or you will encourage them.  As to the pond; they are doing what foxes do. Looking for food.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,128

Foxes eat slugs and worms as well as rabbits and rats etc  ... just the sort of creature you'd find under the hessian around a pond ... I would try to discourage them ... the family should naturally be breaking up now and moving on to establish their own territories.  Feeding them will stop this natural event occurring and can cause problems such as over-population and consequent disease.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh