Problem with Heuchera plant

Hello.

I have a problem with Heuchera plant, it seems to have rotted at the base.

It was grown in a general All purpose fertiliser.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,251

Hi Leonard - heucheras can be very susceptible to vine weevil damage, especially if they're in pots. The young ones chew through the roots and leave the plant 'detached'. Oftem you see nothing until the plant just collapses. Could that be what's happened?

Fortunately, heucheras will regrow from the tiniest bit of root, so all is not lost if that's the case.

If you can upload a photo here that would help too  image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• Fairygirl says:

Hi Leonard - heucheras can be very susceptible to vine weevil damage, especially if they're in pots. The young ones chew through the roots and leave the plant 'detached'. Oftem you see nothing until the plant just collapses. Could that be what's happened?

Fortunately, heucheras will regrow from the tiniest bit of root, so all is not lost if that's the case.

If you can upload a photo here that would help too  image

See original post
    Thanks fairygirl

That is exactly what has happened.

Is there any thing I can do to stop the pesky varmint?.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 11,368

Check the roots regularly and remove the maggoty form of vine weevil.  Birds like them.  When/if you buy new plants, always check their roots and re-pot in a John Innes formulated compost rather than MPC..

The Vendée, France

There is a product you can buy Leonard, but it's name escapes me. You can also get nematodes to apply, which is more eco friendly, but those need warmer weather to use. They're mostly applied in spring I think. They tend to work better in pots than in open ground. 

If you can see the little white-ish grubs in and around the plant roots, you can tip everything out on a sheet of plastic or similar, and the birds will snaffle them up. Clean off the soil from the plant roots and check there aren't any more, and then repot your plant.

It's the larvae that do the damage, but if you see any adults, squish them and it helps to prevent more of the b***ers! 

• LynLyn Posts: 9,042

Now  is the time to apply nematodes if you want to, up to mid November.  You can also do them in Spring.  

They work out a bit expensive to put on the garden, depending on how big your garden is I suppose.

I only used them in pots and tubs.

Its the slug ones that you apply in the Spring/early summer. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

That's useful info Lyn - thanks. I couldn't remember if they were only applied in spring!

I've never used them. We do have vine weevils, and I do have  quite a few heucheras, in pots and in the ground, but I haven't had any issues with them. They did devour a nice new sedum I bought a while ago though  image

They’re a b***er under my aquilegias!

the chemical stuff is called Provado.

I knew someone would remember the name!  image

Perhaps they're getting smarter and adapting to try and keep us all on our toes - chomping on lots of other species.

I blame Brexit.....image

As well as the usual basket type plants, fuchsia, Begonia etc, they’ve had aquilegia, heuchera and lupins. 

They are the one creature apart from slugs of course that I just cannot touch with bare hands, they are so clean and perfect, I pick them out with tweasers and feed to the birds. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 15,581

I love to squish them. ( vine weevils, not heuchera ) I like to know the job is done.

Devon.