Forum home Fruit & veg

Blueberry Bush

Afternoon all,

I have a new blueberry bush that I bought in the spring that has trippled in size this year. I need to chop it I think and just need to know what needs cutting for optimal crop performance next year?

Its the one in the  grey pot below image

Kind regards,

Dan

• PlashingPlashing Posts: 322

Looking at it it is mainly new growth you only cut out what has fruited this season,if you go to www.blueberrypruning.co.uk, there is several helpful videos on how and when to prune I tend to prune mine at the end Feb and march time. Hope that will help. Regards Peter. P.S. they need a acid soil.

• As implied above, Blueberries fruit on last year's growth.  Personally I wouldn't prune it at all this year.

Many aren't self-fertile or do better with cross-pollinating, so you may want/need another one.

Lastly, for a bigger yield you might want a bigger pot or if you can stick it in the ground.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Dan, I'm worried about the word 'chop'.  It is quite a delicate task to prune out the right growth.

• Thanks all - some good ideas. Welshonion - its lazy speech rather than indicative of approach! Ive got in to the fruit a bit since my next door neighbor gave me some raspberry canes last year! image

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Hi Dan, i'm no expert at all and my blueberry has performed well for the last 10 years, and all I do is cut off most of the new sprouting shoots in the spring to tidy it up. I feed it a slow release fertiliser and water it well, it is planted in the ground ?