South east corner of garden

Tin potTin pot Posts: 522

I have a corner of the garden with an old apple tree that looks to be on its last legs, hasn't borne fruit in a few years. The neighbours trees over hang so it's quite sheltered.

Im thinking it could be a good spot for evening sun; a few benches and some Italian Cypress trees, a chiminea and maybe a fence as a wind breaker?

Rip out the old tree entirely, maybe put in an olive tree in a few years?

Any thoughts?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,299

It's your garden, so it's up to you. 

IMHO  " a few benches" might be a lot .

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,963

Very hard to make constructive comment without more information; scale, soil, area etc. a few photos would be helpful. 

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,299

I think the overhanging tree might not do any favours for the Italian cypress, and the chiminea won't do any favours for the overhanging tree.

Just a thought.

Devon.
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 522
    Dovefromabove says:

Very hard to make constructive comment without more information; scale, soil, area etc. a few photos would be helpful. 

See original post

Scale?  You mean size of the area?

I don't know much about soil so happy to follow instruction on identifying characteristics.

I can get some pics.

Tin pot says:
    Dovefromabove says:

See original post

I don't know much about soil so happy to follow instruction on identifying characteristics.

I can get some pics.

See original post

Size of the area and it's scale in relation to its surroundings.  

Looking forward to the pics ... to upload start with the camera icon ... if they don't upload you may need to reduce their size.  

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
    Dovefromabove says:
    Tin pot says:
    Dovefromabove says:

See original post

I can get some pics.

See original post

Size of the area and it's scale in relation to its surroundings.  

Looking forward to the pics ... to upload start with the camera icon ... if they don't upload you may need to reduce their size.  

See original post

Great ... secluded corner just right for a sitting out area image

What part of the country are you in?

Another angle, from sunnier tidier times.

Im in Kent.  As you can see it catches the last of he evening sun, so I'd like to be able to sit their comfortably with friends, and keep warm. :)

Is this the sort of thing you're thinking of?

That could work well ... first thing to do is clear the area and sort the fence out, if it's yours, making sure it's sturdy and won't need work later on that'll affect the rest of the area, then decide what sort of hard surface you want. 

Last edited: 12 October 2017 15:39:09