Forum home Fruit & veg

Grapevine protection

JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783

Hi all,

Im new to gardening and planning to plant four grapevines out in the next couple of weeks, Bacchus, Pinot noir, and two eating varieties, south west facing in what is currently lawn.

Im hoping to train these over garden path archways.

Im given to understand hat October planting is ideal, but I'm concerned that cats and foxes and other fauna might destroy the young vines over autumn and winter - how should I protect them?

Cheers

TP

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270

I can't imagine circumstances in which cats or foxes would really trouble your vines. 

If you're aware of foxes in the area perhaps don't use Fish Blood and Bone fertiliser which might encourage them to dig around the vines ... Otherwise I think you can sleep easily. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    Dovefromabove says:

I can't imagine circumstances in which cats or foxes would really trouble your vines. 

If you're aware of foxes in the area perhaps don't use Fish Blood and Bone fertiliser which might encourage them to dig around the vines ... Otherwise I think you can sleep easily. 

See original post

Cheers.

There is one spot in a low wall flower bed that keeps getting dug up every time I plant something there - not sure what is doing it, just don't want it to happen to something important.

Are there any weather protection measures I should take over the winter?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270

No need to worry about the winter weather ... grapevines can cope with low temperatures.  The only time to worry is if we get a late frost when they are in bud or flowering.

This happened to some English vineyards this year https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/02/english-vineyards-frost-champagne-bordeaux-burgundy 

However, in my fairly sheltered garden in Norfolk we had the best crop of grapes we've ever had. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783

Got four grapevine into the ground his morning.  Bacchus, siegerebe, Pinot noir and Grenache. :)

Dug up the grass and soil.  Mixed some potting gravel, general compost and a bit of soil. Planted, pressed in and covered with potting gravel.

Found some unexpected roots in two of the holes.  One particularly thick one I started pulling up, and it's ripped six feet across my lawn...and there is more there.

It must be coming from the neighbour on the far side of the lawn :(