Forum home The potting shed

Queens Park, Craig y Don.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532

Lots going on in the park lately.  We didn't have the usual Easter Egg Hunt because there weren't going to be enough volunteers on the day to run it.  Instead, we had an Easter-themed coffee morning the Wednesday before Easter, in the community centre which is just across the road from the park.  First time we'd done that, it went well, and we learned some lessons, like not to buy so many cakes as we had lots left over.

Today it seemed to be raining plants.  First, our head gardener Sonia arrived with two dozen Primula vulgaris.  Then a man who lives opposite the park presented us with this lovely corkscrew hazel.  Then my friends Dan and Celia from church arrived bearing eight of these box plants they'd grown from cuttings.  We haven't decided where to put those yet.

Jeanne has bought lots of these poobag dispensers and put them all round the park in hopes it will encourage more people to pick up after their dogs.

My neighbours were replacing their toilet, so I salvaged it to use as a visual pun - a bog garden within a bog garden, geddit?  Not every park user appreciates it. 

A year or more since our Green Flag was awarded, the council has finally got round to giving us a flagpole.  And doesn't the gorse look great?  "When gorse is out of flower, kissing is out of fashion."

A bit of excitement this morning:. The Beeb sent a researcher to the park (at very short notice) to see whether we're worth featuring in next year's Britain in Bloom series.  They were visiting a few other sites in Llandudno.  If they decide to include us, they'll be filming in May to broadcast this time next year.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,259
    That is exciting news  :)
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    Ooooo on the telly. That would be great and would raise your profile a bit too! 
    We've just heard from the BeebBeebCeeb and it's on.  We are bracing ourselves for "Songs of Praise Syndrome" - a sudden rush of eager "volunteers" who will never be seen again once the film crews go home.
    I was too cynical, the TVolunteers never materialised.  The film crews have been and gone, and will pay one more visit, on judging day next week.  They are filming at three other sites in Llandudno, I believe the programme is an hour long, so each site should get its 15 minutes of fame.

Our annual fete went off well yesterday, a good time was had by all, the St. John Ambulance had nothing to do, and most of the traders and charities that took part found it worth their while.  This was my first year of organising the fete as chairman, and over the past few weeks it's given me a few headaches and hissy fits, but it's like childbirth - as soon as it's over, you forget the pain.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,809
    Glad it went well for you.   Congratulations on a job well done.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Great news, 35 people came to our AGM last night, and we filled all three vacancies on the committee.  We'd publicised the meeting like crazy because the chair, vice-chair and secretary all wanted to stand down and none of the people currently active in the park were willing to take on the roles.  So now we have three youngish people (ie not pensioners) who have offered their services.  We are getting help from the council with filling the gaps in the perimeter hedge where people push through because they can't be arsed to walk to one of the five entrances. We have a handsome marble obelisk which was once a drinking fountain, and we're going to see if we can get it restored to working order.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,839
    What a lovely park!  I must have passed within spitting distance any number of times (family in N. Wales).  Must try and visit next time I'm over there.
    JennyJ said:
    What a lovely park!  I must have passed within spitting distance any number of times (family in N. Wales).  Must try and visit next time I'm over there.

Please do, Jenny, and if you can come on a Monday morning, you'll find the gardening team beavering away.  Introduce yourself and have a chat.