Forum home Tools and techniques

Opinion about watering assistance

Hello, I hope you had a great day !

Are you ready to help 3 future engineers willing to bring tech and ecology together ?

We created a flower pot which warns its user whether the plant needs water or not, plus the amount of water needed, thanks to a change of colour.

What do you think of this project ? Your opinion is precious to us and this anonymous survey takes less than 2 minutes.

Thank you very much for the feedback !

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdJJBrh7OzpsUqkSKI7fz7U-Ei7awqi0IO-qi8qtNOZ6udNQw/viewform?c=0&w=1

• B3B3 Posts: 14,970

I find my finger is a perfectly efficient tool for this purpose.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,485

The amount of water required will vary between types of plant so I don't understand how that can be factored into a system based simply on colour change.  There are moisture meters available on the market now and you only need one to be able to check all your pots.  That has to be a much cheaper option than pots which provide the indication.

I think your idea is fundamentally flawed.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,460

I have completed your questionnaire, but I agree with KT53 and Bob ... I use my finger and my eyes and my experience.  Different plants need different amounts of water in different conditions and at different times of year.  I think pots like the ones you envisage will result in a lot of over and under watering.

Sorry.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,434

I daresay they'll make money out of it, there are enough people out there who have to have the latest gimmick, even when it's as daft as this.  Pity they couldn't invent something more useful, such as a trowel that sounds a warning when you're about to slice into a bulb.  I might buy that.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,070

I've completed the survey but agree with the comments made above.

Also, if I put a houseplant in a pot then I will have chosen the colour of pot that I want so I don't really want it to change colour all the time.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,903

I find it hard to keep orchids happy as they like slightly moist but not wet soil... because you aren't watering them all the time, I forget to water them... that's the only area I could see myself using this sort of thing.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,485
    WillDB says:

I find it hard to keep orchids happy as they like slightly moist but not wet soil... because you aren't watering them all the time, I forget to water them... that's the only area I could see myself using this sort of thing.

See original post

It depends on the orchid type.  The Phalaenopsis type just need dunking in water for 10 minutes or so about once a week to keep them happy.  As they don't have soil around the roots, and seem to prefer clear pots, these pots just wouldn't really work for them.

As others have said, I suspect there are enough people out there who would get sucked into the latest gimmick for it to be financial successful for a short time at least.  At one time pots with a water reservoir with a wick into the pot were very popular, I recall seeing anything like that for a long time.  Maybe I just don't notice anymore.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,556

It’s already been done with drinking mugs so I suppose someone would buy the pots, lots of people just love to spend money on gimmicky items. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,169

It would help if you'd made your link just a click instead of having to copy and paste it.

I take it retired people don't garden or have houseplants or the time and funds to indulge in horticulture for fun or any other reason.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,903

Thanks KT53. I was thinking more of the sensor with the smartphone app that alerted you to the compost getting too dry, rather than the changing colour pots. I'll try and do the weekly dunk, but to be honest, I just forget to do it and they get watered when I notice they are looking shrivelled, poor things! Conversely my ex used to overwater them and I sometimes find them sitting in several inches of water.