Forum home Tools and techniques

Garden shears that actually work!

My husband has had several pairs of shears and complains that he has not found a pair that last or work well. Any suggestions please? Thank you

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,054

Fiskar. I purchased the telescopic smartfit hedge shears last year. Have used them to trim an acer and my large Portuguese laurel hedge. Lightweight and very sharp. Very impressed so far.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,904

People call these , but out of varying brands (it's hard to believe I know) , but my trusty old Yeoman have performed well for several years ; robust and very sharp . Have even cut chicken-wire with them image

• Thank you for your replies.  I was looking at the Fiskar telescopic shears. Great. He can get it in his Christmas parcel!

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,289

I bought Sandvik Pradines back in  err.... the 1980s sometime and they are still fabulous.  So well balanced that I feel like I can spin them like Clint does his guns!! He he.

They of course don't make them anymore but I think the nearest are these http://www.bahco.com/en/p/hedgeshear/a1-48-58-4c-05-4c-3a-34-f9-83-20-57-f9-fc-c7-a5/

Bahco bought Sandvik maybe ??

Anyway, soft grip handles, rubber buffers, nick for wider branches and incredible balance mean that cutting my 10ft high, in excess of 50 ft long hedge is manageable (as long as I have my garden platform ladder thing).

Oh and a sharpening stone is also essential.

I have no affiliation to Sandvik/Bahco but if you see any Sandvik Pradines on eBay, I'd buy them!