Forum home Plants

Poorly privet! Please help

We have this privet hedge (ligustrum ovalifolium aureum) since July 2017. It is now losing leaves and has this blight which starts as brown speckles and spreads until the whole leaf is brown. We are total beginners so haven't been watering it much..Google says it could be a fungus? It is it dehydration? Thanks so much..image

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

From the pictures, it's hard to see how tall they are. The larger the shrub, the more harder it is for them to settle in. Considering it is quite a newly planted shrub, it really needs watering in almost every 3-4 days during the summer months if you state it was planted back in July. Not the most ideal time to plant, but if you have, you will immediately need to water generously in the evenings or early mornings. When watering, water a lot right into the base area, not a light sprinkle. Have you done this throughout the summer months and eased off around September? The leaves look unhappy and stressed. 

It's also good practice to lay a thick mulch into the base to help minimise drying when young. Helps to ease young plants in. Maybe post a picture of your plants front-on, as it may be best to give them a cut too.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972

Hi Sarah - 'haven't been watering it much' tells the tale there I think.

Privet thrives on lots of moisture, so it needs copious amounts when planted. Even up here, and with the amount of rain we get through summer, a new hedge would need wateirng regularly. Once established, it will cope, but if it's been dehydrated throughout the summer months, it will have struggled to get going.

Anything nearby it will also be competition for moisture, so it's important to keep the surrounding areas free of grass, weeds and any other planting. 

I'd cut them right back if they were mine, but, as Borderline says, a view of the wider area would help to let us see the extent of the issue and offer further advice. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....