Forum home Plants

Help with sweet peas!

I'm getting married on the 28th of July next year and wanted to grow sweet peas for the church ceremony. I had settled on the idea of growing them up a teepi type structure, But after seeing Monty growing his on a frame made of 2 posts with wire spread across them I wondered if anybody could offer any advice as to which technique would work better ? 

I'l be planting them in a sunny bed next to a fence so not being to access the back of the structure is also a consideration for me 

I'l be greatful for any advice on the structure or growing sweet peas as iv only ever grown them over an arbor once. 

Thank You 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,058

If you're growing them to have cut flowers Adam, posts and netting are the best way, or sturdy wires strung horizontally, which is what I assume you're talking about. The type of netting normally sold for peas and beans of any kind is quite flimsy with large holes, but you could use something heavier duty with a smaller gauge which would be sturdier. Plastic stuff is best - not something like chicken wire which will easily cut through tender, soft growth. image

The best way of all for cutting flowers is to grow them as a single stem - each having their own cane or wire to grow up, removing all the tendrils, which gives longer, straighter stems. That's how growers do them for showing etc, but it may be more effort than you want. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks for the reply ! This is the structure i was refering to. I have been told to remove the tendrils and I will as and when I tend to them, though I imagine this being a bigger job than I think it will be image 

My original plan was to have 3 teepi's, One for each variety with a single plant at the foot of each pole. But I'm thinking now about erecting one of these structures and growing them all in a line. I hadn't considered netting but just to tie in the growth to the wires, But I will look into netting now as I think til be a lot easier than tying in as and when. My biggest worry was not being able to access the back but with the netting am I wrong in thinking there won't be many flowers at the back as theyl be growing towards the sun ? 

They will tend to lean towards the sun, but I find many varieties grow better in some shade. The whites in particular. If you can make your structure with a bit of a gap behind it so that you can access the back, that will help, because you will get some right round the structure. It would give better airflow round the plants too, which is beneficial. image

Whichever method you use, make sure to prep the ground well first - they like plenty of food and water. If you have any well rotted manure, that's an excellent addition to the soil.  Not sure how many flowers you need, but if you only had three plants and three teepees, that wouldn't make an awful lot of flowers. The more you can plant, the better, as it's always good to have too many rather than too few!. 

• Tanks for the advice! 

We have got a florist so it doesn't hinge on success ha!  but I thought it'd be a nice touch to grow some. It would be about 12-16 plants I had in mind overall so I was hoping for a decent yield. 

I was planning on enriching the soil, Though I have been building up the quality of it this year so I'm quite confident in got that part right atleast. 

I'l keep this thread updated with the progress I make with it! 

Good luck with it Adam. Hope it goes well for you image