Forum home Plants

Sedum/Autumn joy

Has anyone noticed over the years that sedum Autumn joy has slowly changed its flowering time.I have been a fan of these plants because they attract loads of butterflys but have you noticed that they seem to be flowering later in the year mine have only just got colour this past week or so and i am sure they used to flower about end of August (colour wise)and it gave butterflys a chance but now its october and its getting colder and there has not been many butterflys about so i do not know whats going on do you?Thanks Audrey.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198

Can't say I've really noticed, but they've always been September into October up here, in any of my gardens  image

My old garden - September 2002, just coming into flower

Early October 2005 - same garden

They're flowering just now in this garden, and have been for a couple of weeks or so, although I don't really have any individual photos. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

Mine too  - they were just about to flower before we went away at the beginning of September and are still  looking glorious image

Last edited: 05 October 2017 18:50:05

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I was fascinated because the bees seemed as impatient as I was for them to flower. They were all over the heads when you could only see the tiniest specks of pink , but the butterflies waited till they were fully open. Mine are looking great now too, with lots of red admirals and bees when the sun deigns to show its faceimage

• Thank you everyone for the replys you must be futher south than me i am West Midlands and i have had some Bees visiting the sedum but no Butterflys we must be having a low year where i live but thanks again i live in hope.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198

I'm a good bit further north than you Audrey  (central Scotland) but we're always about three or four weeks later than the south anyway.

We've had fewer butterflies  this year - it's been an even poorer summer than normal, although there seems to have been plenty of bees. The red admirals are enjoying the Acteas flowers just now though  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....